[Histonet] Histotech Training

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 15 12:52:22 CDT 2012

Note: The exact wording under HT eligibility is:
". . . AND one year full time acceptable experience in a histopathology
(clinical, veterinary, industry or research) laboratory in the U.S., Canada
or an accredited laboratory* within the last ten years."

Very important to note the "One year full time experience".

There is another page that talks about full-time vs. part-time experience.
http://ascp.org/Board-of-Certification/GetCertified/Step-2/Verify-your-experience.html

"Full-time experience is defined as a minimum of thirty-five (35) hours per
week. Individuals who have part-time experience may be permitted to utilize
prorated part-time experience to meet the work experience requirements.

For example, if you are employed 20 hours per week for one year, your
experience would be computed as 20 divided by 35 multiplied by 52 weeks, or
the equivalent of 29.7 weeks of full time employment."

Therefore, to qualify to take the exam, your person would need to work a
minimum of 35 hours/week for 52 weeks, to be equal to 1 year full time
experience.

Your person, who is working 1.5 hours/day = 7.5 hours/week (1.5 x 5)

Therefore, his full time equivalent would be:
(7.5 divided by 35) multiplied by 52 weeks = 11.1 weeks of full time work

Therefore, your person will have to work 4.7 years, at 1.5 hours/day, to be
equivalent to 1 year full time experience.

Now, that being said, some of his hours as a lab assistant MIGHT, just
MIGHT, be allowed to be counted as histotechnology experience, for example,
if he changes the solutions on the tissue processor, or runs the automated
H&E or coverslipper. Some of these MIGHT be considered histotech
responsibilities.

The problem is, ASCP won't say over the phone whether some of the experience
will or will not count, and how much of it will (or will not) count. You can
ask, but they usually say to apply and then a decision will be made. And if
ASCP decides it doesn't count, and the person doesn't have enough hours for
1 year full time, they are denied being allowed to take the exam, and they
do NOT get their money back ($200 right now for HT).

So, I suggest having MORE THAN half of his hours being histotech job
responsibilities only - embedding, sectioning, special stains, IHC stains,
troubleshooting, making solutions, etc. And then LESS THAN half being the
blurred areas where histotechs or lab assistants might do it, depending upon
staffing (processors, coverslipper, etc.). So not all his lab assistant job
responsibilities can be counted. That's still over 2.4 years of histotech
responsibility (at 1.5 hours/day), PLUS the number of hours/weeks he has as
lab assistant that MIGHT, just MIGHT qualify as histotech responsibilities.

But don't quote me. This is really gray, shaky ground. It's a lot easier
when the person is working 20 hours/week as a histotech, and it takes 2
years to qualify. Or 35-40 hours/week as a histotech and it takes 1 year to
quality.

Also, frankly, in my opinion, working 1.5 hours/day, or 7.5 hours/week for 1
year is NOT enough time for him to get the technical knowledge to be able to
pass the exam. It's $200 to apply for the HT exam. Please give him enough
time to learn all the material, so he doesn't have to take the exam again.
And again. That's a lot of money to waste when not adequately prepared.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS