[Histonet] Re: Methanol in H2O2 explanation

McMahon, Loralee A Loralee_Mcmahon <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu
Fri Jul 13 09:18:13 CDT 2012

I think that the original question was why is it recommended in some procedures that H202 be diluted in methanol.  And others say distilled water or buffer.  What makes one better than the other?
Some people I have worked with insist on getting 30% h202 and diluting it in methanol to a 3% solution.   Others use 3% that you buy from the drug store.  No one seems to know why except that is how it has always been done.

Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP)
Immunohistochemistry Supervisor
Strong Memorial Hospital
Department of Surgical Pathology
(585) 275-7210
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa [rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 10:07 AM
To: Hobbs, Carl; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re: Methanol in H2O2 explanation

I have been fascinated by this long discussion about H2O2 and its use in IHC procedures.
We have to start from the fact that ALL cells contain peroxidase because ALL cells respire and ALL cells need to use oxygen they receive from blood (or hemolymph in crustaceans and other arthropods).
The initial IHC procedure were peroxidase-anti-peroxidase (PAP) methods (and many remain as such).
A fixed cell = a dead cell BUT in spite of being dead, the peroxidase they contain is still able of reacting with the PAP complex.
The cell, being dead, cannot make more peroxidase, but there is still peroxidase in it after any type of fixation, even with NBF, as Carl points out.
IF that peroxidase is not "quenched" = INHIBITED the use of a PAP IHC procedure on that uninhibited peroxidase = excessive background in the section after the IHC method is completed.
So, how to avoid that background? By "quenching" or inhibiting the peroxidase contained in the cell.
How? With a substance rich in oxygen that will inactivate the peroxidase by "spending" it and that substance is H2O2 used at the start of the IHC protocol.
René J.