[Histonet] Methanol in H2O2 explanation

Lewis, Patrick patrick.lewis <@t> seattlechildrens.org
Tue Jul 10 12:09:23 CDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Can someone refresh/enlighten me as to why Methanol is used in H2O2 blocking.

Let's assume that I take my slides through the xylene/ethanol steps and that after the 70% etoh wash step, they are now in TBST.

I could see adding methanol if you were doing the H2O2 blocking as part of the xylene/etoh process and maybe you had the methanol as a substitute for the 70% etoh.

My xylene/ETOH looks like this.

3 x 5 min xylene.
2 x 5 min 100% etoh
2 x 5 min 95% etoh
1 x 5 min 70%
Then my slides are washed and then epitope retrieved.

After epitope retrieval they are again washed and then I do my H2O2 block without methanol.

Thanks

Patrick.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.