[Histonet] Re: Formalin Fixation issues

Jill Cox jcox90 <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 13:00:41 CDT 2012

Yes Bob, the sections are good and thin. We use Scientific Products, 10% NBF. Just seems like the Formalin is watered down. Going to try a different brand. I have worked for Pathologist's that cram cassettes but this is not the case here.

From: Bob Richmond <rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Monday, July 9, 2012 10:51 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Formalin Fixation issues

At this point I'm not sure I understand what Jill Cox's problem is.
Forgive me if I keep blaming the pathologist - since I am one! - but
in my experience most of these breast problems originate at the gross
desk.

Is your pathologist cutting the fatty breast tissue thin enough? This
is always a challenge, even after you've done it as long as I have. If
your pathologist is cramming the cassettes full of fat, then that's
where the problem lies.

Do you prepare your own neutral buffered formalin, or buy it? I
prepared a lot of it years ago, and supervised others who did, and I
learned the hard way that mistakes are easy to make when you brew your
own. If you buy your NBF ready made, as most people do nowadays, then
read the label carefully. Have you changed brands recently?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN