[Histonet] JB fixative

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Tue Jul 3 13:36:13 CDT 2012

Hi All,

You wrote:  I use a Zinc fixative called JB fixative for tissues that I want
to stain for CD antigens(see attachment). Does anyone know if this fixative
kills all microbes and prions?

You did not say what species you are working with?

The answer to your question is no for both microbes and prions.   JB
(acronym for Jay Beckstead) fixative is formalin/aldehyde free, and is for
CD markers.   Beckstead developed this fixative when studying CD markers in
human lymphomas.

Beckstead JH (1994) A simple technique for preservation of
fixation-sensitive antigens in paraffin-embedded tissues. J Histochem
Cytochem. 42(8):1127-34.  Free online

Beckstead JH (1995) A simple technique for preservation of
fixation-sensitive antigens in paraffin-embedded tissues: addendum. J
Histochem Cytochem. 43(3):345. Free online

Did your attachment contain the information below (via IHCworld)?

Zinc Fixative (JB Fixative) Formalin Free

0.1M Tris Buffer, pH 7.4

      Tris Base -------------------------------- 12.1 g (TRIZMA)

      1N HCL ----------------------------------- 81.5 ml

      Distilled water -------------------------- 900 ml

      Mix to dissolve. Adjust pH to 7.4

Zinc Fixative

      Calcium Acetate ---------------------- 0.5 g

      Zinc Acetate -------------------------- 5.0 g

      Zinc Chloride -------------------------- 5.0 g

      0.1M Tris Buffer made above ------ 1000 ml

Mix to dissolve. The final pH will be approximately 6.5-7.0. Do not readjust
the pH, as this will cause the zinc to come out of solution.   Store Zinc
Fixative at room temperature.   Fix tissues for 24 to 48 hours. Fixation
longer than 48 hours may make the tissue brittle and difficult to cut.

and sectioning results in antigen preservation comparable to that in frozen
sections with antibodies to these cell surface markers (CD1, CD3, CD4, CD7,
CD8, CD19, CD31). Morphological preservation was also comparable to
formalin-fixed sections.

As killing microbes, and I presume bacteria, virus or fungi, you should use
neutral buffered formalin.  Prions are a whole other story since the only
way to totally eradicate these particles is incineration.  CDC has
guidelines on handling prions in a laboratory.

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

1

Home | About | Disclaimer | Privacy | Contact | Advertise | Site Mapratory.