[Histonet] Re: JB fixative

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:10:12 CDT 2012

Joe Hardin (apparently at U of WI) asks:
>>I use a zinc fixative called JB fixative for tissues that I want to stain for CD antigens (see attachment). Does anyone know if this fixative kills all microbes and prions?<<

http://www.ihcworld.com/_protocols/histology/zinc_fixative.htm

If this is the "fixative" (it doesn't contain any aldehyde) in
question, I wouldn't depend on it to kill anything. You're depending
on the alcohol in the processor to kill the beasties and probably also
to fix the tissue.

Attachments don't come through Histonet, by the way.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN