[Histonet] Billing 88342

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:05:27 CDT 2012

     I am neither a lawyer nor a health care administrator, but, in my
experience, the Pathologist picks the (hopefully) most diagnostic blocks
from the multiblock cases and submits them for IHC.  If you do the
requested IHC on, say, 4 blocks out of 30, you charge x4 for the technical
fee.  After all, you are using 4 times the supplies (buffer, antibody,
etc.).
     Before you hit the cash paying patient with a bill, their primary care
provider should warn them what it's going to cost.
     I have seen a good Pathologist only select one block for IHC when the
clinician previously informed him that the patient had no insurance and was
paying out of pocket.
     I think it's interesting that people control *their own* health care
costs when no insurance company or the government is involved.

                                           Sincerely,

                                                 Jay A. Lundgren, M.S., HTL
(ASCP)