[Histonet] Embedding beads

Amber McKenzie amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net
Mon Jul 2 12:17:20 CDT 2012

How do you not cut thru the bead when sectioning?  I'm intrigued by this process b/c I've never heard of this before.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kelly Boyd
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:20 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Embedding beads

I started using the embedding beads several months ago as a quick way to track who embedded what cassette. Each tech is assigned a number according to the number on their microtome. I get the beads from Cancer Diagnostics. You can probably find something similar at a craft store.
These come in small round plastic containers that fit easily any where on the embedding center. They place the bead in a bottom corner of the cassette when topping it off with paraffin.
They have actually saved us time. Once the techs get used to it, it might add a few seconds to the embedding. Before, the techs had to write down which blocks they embedded. (Very time consuming and often not complete). If I needed to see who embedded a certain block, I had to go check that log book. Now I can see who embedded it just by looking at the block.

Kelly