[Histonet] Processing adipose tissue

David Burk David.Burk <@t> pbrc.edu
Tue Jan 31 08:51:36 CST 2012

René,
Thanks very much for your input on this matter.  I also want to go ahead and thank the other two (Jerry and Karen) who have chimed in on my question.  René, could you please elaborate on "the problem resides in the dehydration time"?  Am I over doing it with 21 hours of IPA?  As for the suggestion about introducing an intermediate step, I am going to find out if that is doable on our Excelsior and, if so, replace the last (9th) IPA step with either an IPA/Paraffin mix or perhaps a mineral oil mix.

If anyone else has further suggestions as to help us get nice crisp membrane structure from our adipose sections I will be very happy to hear them.  Also, if you need additional example images from our sectioned material, I can provide them easily.

Best,
David B.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:34 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Jerry Ricks
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Processing adipose tissue

I agree that 21 hours is too much, but using isopropyl alcohol does not a "clearing" step because isopropyl alcohol will dissolve paraffin wax at 50ºC and above.
This is the method I have published else were with the intermediate step of mineral oil (which is paraffin of low molecular weight) to reduce the gradient and protect the tissue structure.
The Peloris processor routinely uses this sequence (isopropyl → paraffin wax) and is widely used in Australia.
The problem resides in the dehydration time. I will also suggest an intermediate step of isopropyl alcohol+paraffin wax 1:1 between the last alcohol and the first paraffin wax bath.
René J.