[Histonet] Interview Questions

Eric Hoy Eric.Hoy <@t> UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Jan 25 18:54:45 CST 2012

A long time ago, I worked in a lab where we had a manual dexterity test that
we gave to all applicants for medical technologist or histotechnologist
positions.  It was designed by psychologists to test hand-eye coordination,
spatial orientation, fine motor skills, and (to a certain degree) reasoning
skills.  Our HR department also signed off on use of the test.  We found
that doing well on the test did not predict an employee with good skills,
but doing poorly on the test pointed out those who would never be able to
cope in our laboratory.  I'll dig through some old files and see if I can
find more info on this test.

Two questions I have always asked:
1. Describe the characteristics of the best supervisor/manager for whom you
have worked.
2. Describe the characteristics of the worst supervisor/manager for whom you
have worked.
(For new graduates, I substitute "professor" for "manager.")

One applicant, who seemed to have all of the technical skills, described his
worst manager as one who sounded just like me: hands-on, involved in
day-to-day operations of the lab, picky about being to work on time,
perfectionist.  I knew right then that we would not be a fit.

Good luck with your search!

Eric Hoy

Eric S. Hoy, Ph.D., SI(ASCP)
Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Dallas, Texas
Email: Eric.Hoy <@t> UTSouthwestern.edu