[Histonet] Interview Questions

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Wed Jan 25 11:47:01 CST 2012

If your replacement will be doing actual histology, will your institution permit the applicant to embed and cut? Can you sit down at a multi-head scope and review slides with them?
What will the person be responsible for? Do they have experience with all of these tasks? What would they do in a crisis situation (you can make up one yourself that would be plausible).
People who volunteer in their personal lives, may do the same at work. Ask how they juggle their schedule though, if there is a lot going on in their personal lives. Be careful with how you ask these questions though. Your HR department should be able to give you guidance in how to phrase things.
Good luck.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell, Bill
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:19 PM
To: Breeden, Sara; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Interview Questions

It would seem that questions like "How do you feel about cannibalism?"
might also be out but might be far more helpful; than "phone" questions.

On the serious side, when I was much younger I hired a person who was able to answer all the right "histo" questions and so I hired him. He turned out to be a poser, who, shortly after I fired him showed up at a local university with a lab coat that listed him as "Dr." He had indeed worked in a histo lab, but as a lab assistant, and so the the understanding of what a histologist does was well rehearsed. (BTW, it topok me about two weeks to catch on, though the more experienced techs in the department figured it out almost right away)

To be fair, it was during a time in hiring history when HR departments were not willing to give useful reference data and there were only a handful of questions they would even ask when checking. None of them were particularly useful or telling. For inistance, they would not ask if the person was an histo tech, but would simply ask, did he indeed work at your institution?

The place where I worked required little or nothing for proof of experience. There was no background check either.

Today, however, reference checking is a lot easier and more reliable.

I guess my point here is that a good reference check needs to be done as well weeding them out by histo questions.  I'm sure your HR folks will do a fine job of this.

Also, once you have determined that they actually have the skills, or a realistic potential of gaining them, questions concerning dynamics of interaction are appropriate, though may lead to wrong impressions in the mind of the applicant.