[Histonet] RE: Breast Fixation with fixatives other than Formalin

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Mon Jan 23 09:29:50 CST 2012

Carole, The CAP "regs" are recommendations, not regulations. They give you an out to use any other fixative as long as you do a complete validation of the alternative fixative, ie prove the Her2/ER/PR results are identical with the alternative fixative compared to formalin-fixed tissue. That will entail a lot of work on your part but it can be done.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Carol Fields
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 6:48 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Breast Fixation with fixatives other than Formalin

Hi Netters,
Could you please let me know who all is using breast fixatives other than 10% formalin and what do you do about CAP requirements?  I would also like to get in touch with Dr. Richard Cartun because I think he has done studies on this for Her2. Our docs will not let us use anything other than formalin because of CAP regs and the result is a lot of raw breast tissue.  This is even holding the tissue for a couple days.
Thank you,
Carole

Carole Fields, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Northside Hospital
Atlanta, GA 30342
carol.fields <@t> northside.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission has been sent by Northside Hospital. It may contain information that is confidential, privileged, proprietary, or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please delete this message and any attachments from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege.