[Histonet] Music in the Laboratory

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Wed Jan 18 09:16:28 CST 2012

I got a pair of Bose speakers for the lab - I like to listen to quality sound while I work and we bring in ipods, phones, whatever.  But, everyone has the option of nixing any music selection at any time or opting for no music.  Depends on the mood of the lab on any particular day.

Tresa

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Traczyk7 <@t> aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:37 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Music in the Laboratory

Greetings.
I would like to know what other histology laboratories allow for music
players while working.  Do you have formal policies about music content or
volume?  Do you allow lab space doors to remain closed to muffle the volume  of
what is being played?  Are headsets allowed?
I am a terrible judge of this because I personally prefer to work in a
quiet environment.  I am trying to be open minded, as long as the work gets
done.  However, one of the techs had a song playing today that I  believe was
inappropriate for general listening in the lab.  Am I just out  of touch?
Is that dang "F" word just something I'm going to have to learn  to accept?
Do you have a written policy?  When/how/why was it  implemented?
I should mention that it's a small private lab, with minimal patient
traffic.  We do see our share of FedEx, UPS, sales & service  reps.
Your ideas on this is very much appreciated.
Dorothy