[Histonet] Music in the Laboratory

CHRISTIE GOWAN christiegowan <@t> msn.com
Wed Jan 18 08:20:44 CST 2012

Hi All,
Our lab is governed by hospital regulations that no headphones or earbuds be worn at anytime. This is considered a safety issue. We do have policies governing codes for behavior such as dress, hygiene, innappropriate computer use such as streaming music or social media but music is something they allow idividual departments to dictate. Our lab has decided to allow desk top radios to be played. I have a few techs that like to listen to talk radio or music so they each have their individual radios set so low that only they can hear it. I think if everyone had their own radio it would be insane but a couple is not too bad. If it were to become distracting or a nusance, I would ban them completely. We are not in a patient traffic area but we do get a lot of outside visitors walking thru such as Resident's interviewing or clinicians. One must always consider patient care first and foremost and if music is offensive to you because of language then it probably is offensive to others as well. I think you should never have to endure music that is offensive in anyway. Jazz makes me crazy. My question to you would be, do you have a policy that stating that music is allowed? Best of luck to you.
Christie