[Histonet] Re: Formalin Neutralizing

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:55:12 CST 2012

Insightful really, and helpful as always, but hey not all MBAs or business people are uneducated in or afraid of chemistry! Let's break that stereotype- but I admit I made the same wisecracks before I did it.

From: Bob Richmond <rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:43:03
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Formalin Neutralizing

Three years ago Tony Henwood in Australia posted a formula for
neutralizing formaldehyde with ammonia. He also alludes to using
sodium bisulfite (a.k.a. metabisulfite), but I don't know the
proportions or how the reaction works. - I've posted a copy of his
note, below.

A lot of commercial formaldehyde neutralizers are pure mumbo-jumbo. Of
course, this has become an issue where what managers and regulators
think is a great deal more important than what actually happens at the
chemical level where MBA's fear to tread.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN