[Histonet] Formalin Neutralizing

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 15:05:51 CST 2012

Amy:
During the years I had the same "dream" as yours.
Because of that I did try "Transfor-121", "Vytak", "Formalex", "Aldex-AMS 140", "Neutralex" and a 1% solution of potasium permanganate.
To test the effectiveness of the "neutralization" of formalin I used a residual reaction to PAS (Schiff) and ALL the results were positive to PAS, meaning that the neutralization was incomplete.
I also used passive badges by KEM, a SSA Gas-Monitor Meter, AT Badges with the same incomplete results.
Those results prevented me to try to dispose of the "neutralized" formalin and I kept using my disposal company in spite of the costs.
I could not "convince" myself to dispose of formalin "neutralized" with the products I mention.
René J.

--- On Wed, 1/11/12, Amy Self <ASelf <@t> georgetownhospitalsystem.org> wrote:

From: Amy Self <ASelf <@t> georgetownhospitalsystem.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Formalin Neutralizing
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 10:50 AM

Hello Histonetters,

I am looking for something that will neutralize formalin to a jelly like substance so that it could be thrown away in regular trash and not disposed of down the drain. Does anybody know if there is something out on that market that will do this?  Thanks in advance for your help, Amy

Amy Self
Georgetown Hospital System
NOTE:
The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
Thank you.