[Histonet] Respirators and Routine Histology

Nicole Tatum nicole <@t> dlcjax.com
Thu Jan 5 16:46:42 CST 2012

I also do not wear any type of respirator. Not at any point of my day. I
annually wear a formalin badge to test for exposure rate, but thats it. I
gross under a fume hood and I use Slide Bright instead of xylene. It does
not have any fumes or noxious odor and is non toxic. My stain line is also
contained under a fume hood. No one ever smells or complains about my
fumes, unless im changing the processor, they tend to smell the alcohol
then. Mask are a required safety supply, and I do believe in some
situations a respirator may be needed, but it is ultimately up to the
tech. Besides the lab should have adequite ventilation that a respirator
should not be needed for the entire shift, maybe during specfic tasks with
high fumes.

Nicole Tatum, HT ASCP

Happy New Year to All,