[Histonet] Re: Does xylene cause skin cancer?

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Feb 24 10:47:50 CST 2012

There is an extensive literature linking xylene with some types of cancers, especially "blood cancers", as well as with birth defects caused by it and many other aromatic compounds.
The real solution is to just eliminate it, and that be done from ALL, and I mean ALL, the histology phases where it is used now. That is what I did.
René J.

--- On Thu, 2/23/12, Jerry Ricks <rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Jerry Ricks <rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Does xylene cause skin cancer?
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 5:31 PM

As far as I know Xylene is not a conformed carcinogen.  On the other hand the structure is close to that of Benzene which is a confirmed human carcinogen.  It's an aromatic hydrocarbon, so why take chances.  It makes sense to 1) minimize use. 2) Use fume hoods when possible.  3) Wear PPE--nitrile gloves not latex!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/xylene/health_xyl.html

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/benzene/health_ben.html#_1_6

Jerry Ricks