[Histonet] Does xylene cause skin cancer?

Jackie O'Connor b427297 <@t> aol.com
Thu Feb 23 14:43:59 CST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackie O'Connor <b427297 <@t> aol.com>
To: Jonathan.Cremer <Jonathan.Cremer <@t> med.kuleuven.be>
Sent: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 8:39 am
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Does xylene cause skin cancer?

I grew up in histology before MSDS's and OSHA.  We practically bathed in xylene, which is no excuse for ignoring safety precautions now.  In all my years and places I've worked, I don't know anyone who has developed cancer because of xylene exposure per se - you can all say "that they know of".   I can honestly say, out of the hundreds of people I met and worked with, personally I only know of a few histotechs and pathologists who actually died from cancer over the last 40 years.  I do, however, know a larger number of histotechs who have suffered unusual miscarriages, still births, and had children with unusual birth defects.  That is something that no one (like the NSH or histology chemical providers) has really ever looked into.   Common sense should always be your first line of defense, people.    Don't get it on your skin if you can avoid contact, but if you're that paranoid about the chemicals you work with, you are probably in the wrong line of work.   If you look at some of the special stains we work with, they are scarier than xylene.
I'm jus' sayin . . .

Jackie O'