[Histonet] Cell Block

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 08:20:32 CST 2012

A couple of things i did when i had this same issue at one time was If the fna had teeny core biopsies we would separate into two blocks. This allowed for one block to get all the usual in house antibodies and the other could be sent out for special testing. They both got H&E s. another thing is if we suspected cancer from looking at the clinical info we would skip doing cytospins and put everything in for cell block. These methods are not 100% but these two things implemented significantly decreased our need to ever be put on the spot of not having enough biopsy or for the pathologist to have to ask for a rebiopsy. Oh another thing if you only have a cell block you can devide it into 2 blocks if you have visual amounts of cells us my opinion. I've also found that proper cell block preparation is key. You'd be surprised at how many times I've seen people adding way to much cell block material to a specimen and dispersing the cells too much. Anyway. That's my two cents. Happy weekend!
Kim D

Sent from my iPhone