[Histonet] Ventana xt

CHRISTIE GOWAN christiegowan <@t> msn.com
Thu Feb 16 13:46:35 CST 2012

Pros:
Lends itself well to labs that do basic IHC staining
Antibodies are pre-diluted so no guess work on dilutions
Good for batching runs
Consistent quality of slides
24 hour technical support
Can run molecular probes
protocols are easy to adjust

Cons:
Closed system
Must use Ventana antibodies or purchase special dispensers if using non Ventana products
Pre-dilute antibodies are pricey
Stand alone instrument so must have space for it

I'm sure there is more but you just really need to see what your needs are. We have the XT and Ultra as well as open systems. We love the Ventana's but we also will always have open platforms because we do a lot of research. The work flow is another thing you need to look at. How many slides do you turn out in one day? What is your turn around time? The XT is a great instrument but it depends on your lab. Hope this helps.
Christie Gowan
UAB Hospital