[Histonet] RE: Hemisecting a fresh-frozen brain

Hilary Smith hsmith <@t> wakehealth.edu
Fri Feb 10 14:46:56 CST 2012

Thanks Brett - I was hoping that someone out there had done this.  If I screw up the cerebellum and brainstem it is no big deal as we are only looking at forebrain structures. This is very encouraging!

Thanks again,
Hilary

-----Original Message-----
From: Connolly, Brett M [mailto:brett_connolly <@t> merck.com]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 3:40 PM
To: Hilary Smith; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: Hemisecting a fresh-frozen brain

Hilary,

I have done this before.

Definitely warm to -20C (overnight) otherwise it will likely fracture. A non-serrated brain slicing autopsy knife works well...it is best to use a knife that has a big blade and a sturdy handle. You will need a little bit of downward pressure on the knife and a slow, short sawing motion to work your way through. Cutting through the cerebral midline won't be much of a problem, be careful with the cerebellum and brainstem. Too much pressure and cutting too fast is bad.

Good luck,
Brett

Brett M. Connolly, Ph.D.
Imaging Research Fellow