[Histonet] Odor of old paraffin blocks

Pam Marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 08:39:21 CST 2012

They could have used amyl acetate as a clearing agent for alcohol.  The product is a banana oil is very smelly.  It was done for years with neuro specimens in some reseach labs and not as oft en (rarely) in clinical Histology.  It had to cleared with another organic, usually benezene.  One research lab I worked in used it routinely until we changed the protocol completely for safety reasons. It also made me crave banana splits!!

Pam Marcum

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pam Bakken" <Pam.Bakken <@t> childrensmn.org>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:10:27 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Odor of old paraffin blocks

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this question.  I've been in our block/slide storage room organizing blocks from the early 80's and every drawer smells like ripe bananas.  I've thought about someone leaving a banana or peel hidden in the room, but would imagine by now any odor would be gone, and honestly...it's kinda a scary room so I'm not looking much past the blocks and slides.  Our blocks are not sealed and I'm at a lost for what could be causing the odor.

Thanks,

Pamm Bakken
Childrens Hospital Minneapolis

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential
and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of
this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her
agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you
have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and deleting this email or
destroying this facsimile immediately.