[Histonet] RE: picric acid

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Fri Feb 3 15:38:22 CST 2012

Geoff -

Yes - see if you can get the footage of the damage done in a lab in Idaho.

Tresa

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Geoff McAuliffe
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 12:17 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: picric acid

"Our chemical safety office informed us that friction from removing a cap can be enough to set it off."

I have heard this for many, many years but has there ever been a case of such a thing happening? Of course we should be cautions and keep our picric acid wet but ...
I have seen news clips in which the bomb squad packs explosives around the picric acid (from an old high school lab) out in a field and sets it off. BOOM! Sure, the picric acid was surrounded by explosives.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.