[Histonet] reagents without expiration dates

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:02:34 CST 2012

Many, many, many years ago back in the 80's, I worked for Sigma-Aldrich and was visiting Charles Churukian's lab. He had a full wall of his lab with shelves, floor to ceiling, of dried and liquid Sigma reagents. He had every lab chemical and reagent I knew and was very proud that he was a great Sigma customer. The labels were none that I had seen in 10 yrs working at Sigma, so I took a few containers down and read the manufacturing code. The oldest was sodium bisulfate, gallon container, manufactured in 1946. Most were 20-30 yrs old then and in large quantities. I have always thought to myself, with many more customers like Chuck, Sigma could go out of business. I miss Chuck, but I bet he is still teaching the heavens everything they need to know about Histology and Staining. I don't know if that beats your stuff, but I bet the chemicals Chuck left behind are still in use.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)