[Histonet] RE: Interviewing Histotechs...

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 16:41:07 CST 2012

yeah, I never did like that the "a monkey can do it" crap. A pathologist
told me that he could teach a monkey to gross. When the grossing tech messed
up a case, I was called in and got jumped on. He really didn't appreciate it
when I told him he better  get that monkey trained quick.

JTT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kim Donadio" <one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Jerry Ricks" <rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com>
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Interviewing Histotechs...

Your comment about a monkey hits a nerve. There is a misconception I think
in our field that yes any monkey off the street can do our job. Well they
can't. It takes a good amount of knowledge to understand tissues, stains,
chemical reactions and yes you will need to have some  amount of hand eye
coordination Skill .

It's the monkey theory that has histotechs jumping up and down into these
quick almost no hands on programs so they can get a good paying job with not
much invested I'm afraid. Yes, I'm an expert at sticking my foot in my
mouth. But if we as a group don't recognize why we are even having this
debate about testing techs on the most basic of functions.  Then I worry
about the future of our profession And even healthcare because by god if you
want monkeys , think monkeys , you will get monkeys!

And darn it. I can't run and hide from this one can I lol

Have a great week!

Kim D
Sent from my iPhone