[Histonet] RE: Microtome maintenance frequency

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Thu Dec 27 13:35:33 CST 2012

Allen,

Yes the service contract is very expensive. In fact, at our hospital we decided to forgo the service contract on microtomes and only call for service when a microtome has a problem. That has saved us tens of thousands of dollars over the years. In the four years since we have done that we have only serviced 3 microtomes for a cost of about $4,000. The annual contract would have been $64,000 during that period! And in fact, the only problems we have had were related to electronic ribbon cables breaking from repeated bending - poor design by the manufacturer.  We also have a 7 year replacement policy so they aren't going to get badly worn like some places that never replace them.

The minimal use of your microtomes means they aren't going to have the wear that we see in the hospital. Your problem will be from oil or grease drying out and making the operation sticky or slow.

Be sure you do any suggested daily, weekly or monthly maintenance outlined in the microtome manual. Also be sure to learn what signs indicate a problem with the microtome. It would be good to have someone use the microtome on a regular basis just to keep the mechanics smoothly operating - maybe once a month in your case.

An accredited lab simply needs to document the regular maintenance and any repairs done to satisfy inspectors.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center