[Histonet] Bluing

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> outlook.com
Tue Dec 18 10:57:46 CST 2012

Blueing will differentiate and can help crisp the stain. The pH does affect the rate and intensity of color change. You want a slightly alkaline solution to “Blue” your slides. The blueing process will differentiate the normal purplish color of the acid dye, Hematoxylin (pH 2.6-2.9) by changing the color to a blue from the reddish purple. This process produces a better contrast with the usual red counter stains, Eosin and Phloxine, used in the H&E.

Common blueing/differentiators I have used are; 0.1% Sodium Bicarbonate (1 g / 1000 ml distilled water), 0.2% Ammonia Water (2 ml / 1000 ml distilled water) and Saturated Lithium Carbonate (1.54 g / 100 ml distilled water). You can also use “tap water”, but be careful about how the water is treated. Rinsing in tap or distilled water also provides a crisper stain because is rinses away the alum. If alum remains, the color will fade with time.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)
Production Manager-Anatomic Pathology
Chair, NSH Quality Management Committee
Owner/Consultant, Collaborative Advantage Consulting