Mondays fun fact RE: [Histonet] Maximum bone sample size for methyl methacrylate embedding

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Mon Dec 17 15:09:13 CST 2012

Off topic but interesting anyway concerning acrylics. Just a fun fact since we use these chemicals....

Jack says below: " I will caution you that there is also a limitation in size based upon the mastery of the acrylic resin polymerization process. As you go up in size, you increase the difficulty in the ability to manage and control the exothermic polymerization of the specimen and block. "

That is a huge problem in acrylics and while large acrylic structures are made now, they were mostly failures before an ARTIST (ie, a non-chemist) got involved in acrylic sculptures.

I read an article years ago about an artist who figured out how to make massive acrylic sculptures.  Chemists at Dupont thought it was impossible to do. The artist figured it out. He said one day it was like everything simply came together in his mind and the chemical process was evident.

He went on to make acrylic bathyspheres for the Navy and Oil industry and undersea researchers - still the only person to have figured how to do it.

BTW, he uses an autoclave to do the curing. A HUGE autoclave.

Link below, click on Apolymon and Bathysphere

http://www.brucebeasley.com/home.htm

>From Wikipedia.
In 1968, Bruce Beasley began investigating the use of transparency as a sculptural medium. He was successful in creating small transparent sculptures in cast acrylic but experts at Dupont and Rohm & Hass were convinced that it was impossible to do castings as large as Beasley envisioned. That year, the State of California invited Beasley to participate in a competition for a monumental sculpture for the state. At first, the jury was unaware that Beasley was experimenting with transparency as a sculptural medium and invited him based on his work in cast metal. Beasley was determined to pursue transparency and proposed a monumental cast acrylic sculpture. Upon seeing Beasley's proposal, they questioned the sculptor about its viability. He convinced them that creating what he envisioned was no problem but privately knew that he would have to invent a new process, which he did.[4] His proposal for Apolymon, a transparent sculpture in cast acrylic won and he installed the piece in Sacramento in 1970.

1970s
Fascinated by the esthetics of transparency, Beasley worked in cast acrylic for the next ten years. In 1974, members of the undersea research community approached Beasley to see if he could adapt his technique to cast transparent bathyspheres for undersea exploration. He succeeded in creating the bathyspheres for Johnson Sea Link submersibles for Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. It was these submersibles that were deployed to locate the crew compartment on the bottom of the ocean after the Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrated upon liftoff in 1986.

Tim Morken