[Histonet] Does Formalin fixed frozen sections for antibodies need to be kept frozen?

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Fri Dec 14 10:16:33 CST 2012

Hans,

There are definitely certain antigens that will be degraded when the tissue is stored as tissue sections on slides, even if formalin-fixed. Other antigens will not be degraded even after years of storage. It is very specific per antigen. People have tried various methods to reduce or stop this degradation including freezing, paraffin coating the entire slide, storage in nitrogen atmosphere or combinations.  It really depends on what the particular researcher has found in their previous work, so I would not dismiss the freezing out hand. Maybe ask if they have some documentation (ie, who "led" them to believe this?!?!) of the time to degradation for particular antigens (ie, evidence of lack of antibody labeling after a certain time period).

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Hans B Snyder
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:40 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Does Formalin fixed frozen sections for antibodies need to be kept frozen?

Hello I am working at a research facility that has thousands of formalin fixed frozen heart sections in their freezers.  They have been led to believe that this is necessary for their antibodies to work.  I do not believe this is the case.  Does anyone know of antibodies that will lose their antigenicity if stored at room temp?

Thanks

--
Hans B Snyder
Histologistics