[Histonet] Re: Inking esophagus biopsies

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:17:02 CST 2012

Sheila Adey (somewhere in Canada) asks: Can anyone reccommend a good
way to ink esophageal biopsies without using mercurochrome?

Out of many pathology services I've worked on, I've only seen one that
marked GI biopsies when grossing. They used safranin O (the routine
Gram stain counterstain, from the microbiology lab) and it worked
quite well.

I would not use eosin because it makes fluorescence microscopy
impossible. You can't get mercurochrome any more (in the US anyway),
and you don't want the mercury in your processor anyway.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN