[Histonet] Osmium tetroxide staining for lipids

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Fri Aug 24 09:42:34 CDT 2012

I agree w Rene on this one - do not use this stuff if you do not have to - and in 2012 (or at least in the last 20 years or more) - you do not HAVE to! - Oil Red O is far safer - Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 9:32 AM
To: Sheila Adey; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Osmium tetroxide staining for lipids

Osmium tetroxide is one of the most dangerous substances you can use in the laboratory. Your pathologist probably read some article or found an old photo of fat "stained" with osmium tetroxide and now wants you to do the same thing.
The problem is that the fat is allowed to react to the fumes of this very nasty substance and this is a very dangerous step.
Nowadays this is never done. If he wants to "demonstrate" fat, freeze the tissue, prepare a frozen section and us Oil Red to demonstrate fat.
This is the most current measure.
On the other hand, as you point out, osmium tetroxide is used in electron microscopy.
René J.