[Histonet] Accessions/ lean

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 14:51:50 CDT 2012

Regardless of what you end doing, NEVER "touch" anything twice to return to the same container it came.
The idea is that every time you "touch" a specimen you "add value to it".
This means that the specimen should "fall into a chain of work", into a "forward flow" that makes the specimen one step closer to finish every time you handle it.
Taken a specimen from a plastic bag to put it AGAIN into the same plastic bag is "anathema" from the Lean point of view.
Study your flow and try that your specimen keeps "marching forward" with every step you subject it to.
René J.

________________________________
From: Nisha <monishapahuja <@t> gmail.com>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:32 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Accessions/ lean

My facility currently takes specimens out of plastic bags, accessions the case, and then stuffs the specimens back into the plastic bags.  One of the residents mentioned that other places put the specimens into plastic bins for the grossers.  I have been asked to evaluate the feasability of this, but I have never seen it done, don't know how the bins would stack, how many different sizes would be needed, how much room it would take up, etc.

If anyone that does this can comment or better yet could provide a photo(s) of the bin set-up at accessioning/grossing that would be great.  Thanks in advance!!"

Nisha
Lead histology technian
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
Sent from my iPhone