[Histonet] annoying crystals on sections

E. Wayne Johnson ewj <@t> pigsqq.org
Tue Aug 21 10:08:47 CDT 2012

we are using a Sakura DRS2000 and we are 3 x 3 minutes in xylene and we have
been keeping it fresh.  The staining is good now but we still see the
crystals.
If it were paraffin we should see unstained spots on the slide I think.

I have gone to an aqueous 1% HCl today after hematoxylin for regression
and that seems to be cleaning
them up on most of the slides.  I cleaned out some of the plumbing and
cleaned some calcium out of the pipes.

We are using "Harris hematoxylin" that we purchase.  We have a  tried
different counterstains but it seems to
make no difference.

We are using a Sakura tissue processor for overnight processing of
cassettes.  the embedding is going good
and we get nice flat thin sections.  We are fixing tissues with neutral
phosphate buffered formalin but
still see some formalin pigment.  We are cleaning that up with picric
acid in etoh.  We find we still need that
and the formalin pigment is brown to dark brown.  These problem crystals
are round irregular to rhomboidal
some times sort of large and flat about the size of a cell and they are
clear.  I thought they were formalin pigment
at first and fiddled with the Picric Acid, and tried Ammonia in Alcohol
to get rid of formalin pigment and finally
decided that it was not formalin pigment.

I thought it might be something from Scott's tap water (Mg++) so i
dropped that and tried bluing with NH4+
and it didnt help any.  I tried blueing just with tap water.  Nice
result but still the crystals.

The aqueous HCl seems to be working and is not harming the nuclei so I
may have a sort of solution
and am calling it calcium crystals in the water until I know better.

I may look for some sort of filter to put in the water line.

E Wayne Johnson DVM
Enruikang Ag Tech
MOA Feed Industry Centre
China Agriculture University