[Histonet] Formalin and Operating Rooms

Connolly, Brett M brett_connolly <@t> merck.com
Tue Aug 21 09:55:48 CDT 2012

Here is a notorious case from my days working in a Ft. Lauderdale suburban hospital. Along with Bill's experiences we took formalin out of the OR after this was reported, but it wasn't a requirement as far as I remember.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/03/10/us/one-death-many-questions-in-miami.html?pagewanted=all

Brett M. Connolly, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist, Imaging Dept.
Merck & Co., Inc.
PO Box 4, WP-44K
West Point, PA 19486
brett_connolly <@t> merck.com
T- 215-652-2501
F- 215-993-6803

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell, Bill
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:05 AM
To: Paula Sicurello; Debra Siena
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Formalin and Operating Rooms

I know of no rules, though there may well be. I do know that several
years ago a patient was injected (IV)with formalin in the OR. Results
were NOT good. I know that the OR in the place I was working at the time
would no longer allow for formalin in the OR suite. The tissues were put
in formalin in a separate area - by OR staff.

Bill