[Histonet] Eosin

Brendal Finlay brendal.finlay <@t> medicalcenterclinic.com
Fri Aug 10 07:00:40 CDT 2012

Do you recycle your alcohols?  If you do and you put the recycled
alcohols at the end (running down to xylene) it can GREATLY decolorize
the eosin in the H&E stain.  Also, make sure you have a good rinse
after the blueing step as that can mess with the eosin's pH which will
also decrease staining.

-----Original message-----
From: "Hannen, Valerie" Valerie.Hannen <@t> parrishmed.com
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 09:23:26 -0500
To: histonet histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Eosin

> Hi Folks...I am hoping you all give me a little help. Our
Pathologists are complaining about our Eosin on the H&E's being weak.
The funny thing is, is that it can go one

> day to the next...one day it looks great...the next it is weak!!
>
> I have already done some experimenting with...1) time tissue spends
in Eosin.... 2) making sure that the alcohols after Eosin are the
properconcentrations....3)

> reducing the time that the tissues spends in the alcohols atfer
Eosin... I have even gone as far as 4) increasing the rinse time in
water after the decolorizing and bluing