[Histonet] CAP autopsy requirement?

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Thu Aug 9 15:00:25 CDT 2012

90% of the cases need to be signed out in 60 days, not all cases.

**NEW** 07/31/2012
ANP.33120 Final Report TAT Phase II
The final autopsy report is produced within 60 working days in 90% of the cases.
NOTE: The 90% threshold is used in recognition of the fact that occasional unusual cases may
require more than 60 days for completion, particularly when external consultation is required. If
cases exceed 60 days, there should be documentation of the reason for the delay and of ongoing
review of this information by the director of the service.
Evidence of Compliance:
✓ Review of turnaround time data for the final autopsy report
REFERENCES
1) Adickes ED, Sims KL. Enhancing autopsy performance and reporting. A system for a 5-day completion time. Arch Pathol Lab Med.
1996;120:249-253
2) Smith MT, Garvin AJ. Anatomic pathology turnaround times. Use and abuse. Am J Clin Pathol 1996;106(Suppl 1):S70-S73
3) Baker PB, et al. Quality assurance of autopsy face sheet reporting, final autopsy report turnaround time, and autopsy rates. A College
of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of 10 003 autopsies from 418 institutions. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1996;120:1003-1008
4) Hanzlick RL. The autopsy lexicon. Suggested headings for the autopsy report. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:594-603
5) Bove KE, et al. The role of the autopsy in medical malpractice cases, II. Controversy related to autopsy performance and reporting.
Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2002;126:1032-1035
6) Hutchins GM, et al. Autopsy reporting. In: Collins KA, et al, eds. Autopsy Performance and Reporting. 2nd ed. Northfield, IL: College
of American Pathologists: 2003; chap 28
7) Baker PB. Communication of autopsy results. In: Collins KA, et al, eds. Autopsy Performance and Reporting. 2nd ed. Northfield, IL:
College of American Pathologists: 2003; chap 33
**