[Histonet] tissue highlighting for visibility

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Wed Aug 8 11:44:48 CDT 2012

We just add about 10-15 ml of eosin in the last alcohol on the processor

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org
www.LMHealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of contact <@t> histocare.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:10 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] tissue highlighting for visibility

Hello all,

Earlier today I had a VERY tiny sample from the esophogus. When I say it was tiny, it looked to be only a few microns in thickness. It was inside of, you guessed it,
a teabag! :) But that wasn't the problem, as it was appropriate in this case to be put in a teabag because of the size. When I pulled it out of the cassette, I had to go over it very carefully to even find it. It's sad that I know of a not insignificant number of people who wouldn't have taken the time to find it and most likely have dispositioned it as not surviving processing or no tissue found, but that is another issue. I'm sure the patient would appreciate the extra effort.

I know of a few techniques to make tissue, and specifically tiny or fatty tissue, more easily visible in cases like these. For example, I've seen using a different colored wax or putting eosin in the alcohol during processing.  What do some of you guys do?

www.HistoCare.com
Histology Staffing