[Histonet] decalcification of premolar teeth (dog)

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Wed Aug 8 09:29:29 CDT 2012

Alice
I would recommend using sodium formate/formic acid mixture for demineralization as this is more gentle than most agents.
I would not use hydrochloric acid unless you are shipwrecked on a desert island and that is the only chemical available to you.
I am assuming that EDTA demineralization is not an option for you?
Barry
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Alice Fraser [toxpathnz <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:56 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] decalcification of premolar teeth (dog)

Dear Members
I would be really interested to hear your advice on the currently preferred
procedure for decalcification of premolar teeth from dogs. Do laboratories
find the HCl/water solution or the formic acid solution or another solution
to be optimal for decal without obliterating the tissues to be evaluated? A
procedure/method would be hugely appreciated if poss.
Many thanks.
Alice