[Histonet] tissue highlighting for visibility

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 8 04:33:45 CDT 2012

Drop of hematoxylin on the tissue, when put on the paper in the grossing
area. Use a syringe. Only a SMALL drop. Too much means there's extra blue
all over the paper, making it hard to see the blue tissue.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect those of Beaumont
Hospital.

-----Original Message-----
From: contact <@t> histocare.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:10 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] tissue highlighting for visibility

Hello all,

Earlier today I had a VERY tiny sample from the esophogus. When I say it was
tiny, it looked to be only a few microns in thickness. It was inside of, you
guessed it,
a teabag! :) But that wasn't the problem, as it was appropriate in this case
to be put in a teabag because of the size. When I pulled it out of the
cassette, I had to go over it very carefully to even find it. It's sad that
I know of a not insignificant number of people who wouldn't have taken the
time to find it and most likely have dispositioned it as not surviving
processing or no tissue found, but that is another issue. I'm sure the
patient would appreciate the extra effort.

I know of a few techniques to make tissue, and specifically tiny or fatty
tissue, more easily visible in cases like these. For example, I've seen
using a different colored wax or putting eosin in the alcohol during
processing.  What do some of you guys do?

www.HistoCare.com
Histology Staffing