[Histonet] Electron Microscopy Postion at UC San Francisco

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Thu Apr 26 12:05:06 CDT 2012

We have a new opening for an Electron Microscopy Technologist at University of California, San Francisco Medical Center.

The job description is below.

Website:
https://careers.ucsfmedicalcenter.org:8443/psp/hcmprd_cg/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL

Enter the job code "histology" in the key words box. The job code is 3496. It is labeled "Histotechnologist II - Pathology (HISTOTECHNOLOGIST II)"

The EM lab processed about 400 EM cases per year of kidney, muscle, tumor, blood and cilia samples. We also do muscle enzyme histochemistry (200/yr) and immunofluorescence for kidney and skin. Four technologists staff the lab.

The lab is located at the main campus near Golden Gate park.

If you have any questions at all please contact me. Apply online but send your resume and cover letter to me as well so it doesn't get lost in the system.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center
505 Parnassus Ave, Box 1656
Room S570
San Francisco, CA 94132

(415) 353-1266 (ph)
(415) 514-3403 (fax)
tim.morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org

**********************************

Job ID:  3496
Job Title: Histotechnologist II - Pathology (HISTOTECHNOLOGIST II)
Job Code: 9066
Department: Pathology-Surgical / Histology
Location: Parnassus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary: Regular
Shift: 8-hour Variable
Weekly Hours: 40
Union Information: This classification is represented by a union

Appointment Type: Career
At the University of California San Francisco Medical Center, teamwork and continual learning have maintained our top 10 ranking as one of "America's Best Hospitals" by U.S.News & World Report. For you, UCSF Medical Center is where you will share and discover something new every day with benefits and rewards that will last a lifetime.

Job Summary:
Under supervision (HT-I) or general supervision (HT-II) by Senior-level technologists, Lead technologist and the Electron Microscopy Supervisor, the incumbent serves as an Electron Microscopy Technologist in the Laboratory for Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies (EM/NM Laboratory).  Duties include EM specimen receipt, gross examination, case accessioning in the Department LIS system, tissue processing, thick sectioning, Ultrathin sectioning/staining, electron microscope operation, examination/digital image photomicrography, immunofluorescence microscopy, muscle histochemistry and nerve teasing. Performs quality control and associated documentation, technical validation, and associated record keeping.  Other technical duties as assigned may include backup in the STAT Histology lab or grossing lab.   The incumbent will rotate between workstations within the lab.  Incumbent must be able to work flex work hours as needed to meet Department operational needs and cover work rotations.

Required Qualifications:

 *   College degree in a biological science, chemistry or a related field, or equivalent education and experience to include coursework in biological sciences/chemistry and work experience in Electron Microscopy (EM) or related field such as Histotechnology,  including experience performing immunofluorescence or muscle histochemistry, or MSA certified in Electron Microscopy.
HT I:

 *   Educational requirements or equivalent combination plus one year of work experience in EM or a related field such as Histotechnology performing immunofluorescence or muscle histochemistry as outlined above.
 *   Excellent interpersonal communication skills required.
HT II:

 *   Educational requirements plus one year performing diagnostic(clinical) electron microscopy, immunofluorescence and muscle histochemistry procedures at the HT-1 Level, or two years of general EM experience performing all technical components of electron microscopy (TEM) in a comparable laboratory environment within the last five years.
 *   Knowledge of ultrastructural pathology required.
 *   Excellent interpersonal communication skills required.

Note:  Viable candidates who partially meet the qualifications required may be placed in a HLT-II level position until skill set/work experience criteria is met for the HT-I level.

Preferred Qualifications:

 *   Formal training in electron microscopy preferred.
 *   Experience in Immunofluorescence technique preferred.
 *   Experience in muscle histochemistry highly desirable.
 *   Training or experience in Histology / Histotechnology desirable.

Required Licenses/Certifications:
HT I, II:  MSA Certification in Electron Microscopy desirable.