[Histonet] RE: Qualifications for grossing

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Wed Apr 25 12:41:29 CDT 2012

You can reprocess, recut, and restain, but never re-gross. I for one also gross, but only skin. And yes, I DO know how to gross an alopecia specimen.
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Wed 4/25/2012 11:55 AM
To: Joanne Clark; Davide Costanzo
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Qualifications for grossing

For what little it may mean, I wholeheartly agree with Davice Costanzo e-mail. I completely agree with him.
In the same way the economic situation we are now was caused by greed, that is the motor guiding those who, to just save money, let a histotech (ologist) to do grossing.
Grossing,, especially large complex specimens, is the fundamental initial task in any complex diagnosis. The PA is the one who SELECTS what is going to be processed and used for diagnosis.
IF some part of the specimen is not submitted as the result of ignorance caused by poor training, the worst thing could happen, namely, a FALSE NEGATIVE