[Histonet] RE: Qualifications for grossing

Joanne Clark jclark <@t> pcnm.com
Wed Apr 25 09:41:13 CDT 2012

David, after reading your post I was not at all surprised to see that you are a PA.  I am assuming that explains your vitriol towards techs that gross.  Yes, CLIA does provide the educational requirements for high complexity testing, but what on earth makes you think that a tech with the proper CLIA qualifications can gross without proper training by a pathologist?  CAP requires that as well as extensive documentation of training AND a list of the specimens approved by the Lab Director that a 'non-pathologist' is allowed to gross.  I'm sure you can tell that I am a Histotech with an Associates Degree and I do the grossing in my lab.  I can assure you that I do a good job and if there is EVER any question regarding how to gross in a specimen I will get a pathologist.  To make it clear, just because we tech's that gross do not have a masters as a pathologist assistant, we care just as much about the patients we serve as a PA does.  Another point I would like to make is that very often we gross not by choice but because it is what our pathologists demand of us and they wouldn't put us there if we couldn't do the job. Believe me, when I say that I do want to get my masters as a PA, but I haven't been able to find a program that accommodates someone who is working full time and can not afford to quit to go back to school.  I am currently finishing up my Bachelors, because I still want to pursue it.

Joanne Clark, HT
Histology Supervisor
Pathology Consultants of New Mexico


Message: 8
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:32:34 -0700
From: Davide Costanzo <pathlocums <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Qualifications for grossing
To: Glen Dawson <ihcman2010 <@t> hotmail.com>
Cc: histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
	<CA+F+Rhoy4DypX0MpOq65rRrVLDXObV_0aCSPZBGQRPv8ygVPMw <@t> mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1


Below are the requirements for high complexity testing, as outline by CLIA.
You can reference the CLIA '88 ruling, specifically look at Subpart M, Section 493.1489

The requirements are weak, to say the least. I am not alone in the opinion that just because CLIA allows it, it is not necessarily appropriate for the minimum qualified person to be grossing certain specimens. Having someone other than an M.D., or ASCP certified PA do anything larger than a skin shave is not good medicine. But, in answer to your question - yes, the government allows inadequately trained personnel to perform high complexity testing.

Sec. 493.1489  Standard; Testing personnel qualifications.

    Each individual performing high complexity testing must--

    (a) Possess a current license issued by the State in which the

      laboratory is located, if such licensing is required; and

    (b) Meet one of the following requirements:

    (1) Be a doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathy, or doctor of

      podiatric medicine licensed to practice medicine, osteopathy, or

      podiatry in the State in which the laboratory is located or have earned

      a doctoral, master's or bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical,

      biological or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an

      accredited institution;

    (2)(i) Have earned an associate degree in a laboratory science, or

      medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution or--

    (ii) Have education and training equivalent to that specified in

      paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section that includes--

    (A) At least 60 semester hours, or equivalent, from an accredited

      institution that, at a minimum, include either--

    (1) 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses; or

    (2) 24 semester hours of science courses that include--

    (i) Six semester hours of chemistry;

    (ii) Six semester hours of biology; and

    (iii) Twelve semester hours of chemistry, biology, or medical

      laboratory technology in any combination; and

    (B) Have laboratory training that includes either of the following:

    (1) Completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or

      accredited by the ABHES, the CAHEA, or other organization approved by

      HHS. (This training may be included in the 60 semester hours listed in

      paragraph (b)(2)(ii)(A) of this section.)

    (2) At least 3 months documented laboratory training in each

      specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.

    (3) Have previously qualified or could have qualified as a
      technologist under Sec. 493.1491 on or before February 28, 1992

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Glen Dawson <ihcman2010 <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:

> All,
> Can a histotech perform GROSSING if he/she has an associate's degree 
> in Histotechnology from an accredited institution (Argosy in MN)?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thank-you,
> Glen Dawson BS, HT(ASCP) & QIHC
> Histology Technical Specialist
> Mercy Health System
> Janesville, WI
>  _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet

*David Costanzo, MHS, PA (ASCP)*
Project Manager
*Blufrog Path Lab Solutions*
9401 Wilshire Blvd. Ste 650
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

More information about the Histonet mailing list