[Histonet] RE: Barcoding specimen tracking, lessons you learned

Michael Mihalik mike <@t> pathview.com
Tue Apr 24 14:16:13 CDT 2012

Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?), pretty much all technology can be
foiled by human beings.  We've seen this  scenario before as well.  We tell
our accession personnel that they must accession and label one case at a
time, but when it comes down to it, there is no real way to FORCE people to
follow a policy.

This is why we have inquiry come up automatically at Gross, Transcription,
and Pathology workcenters.  Ostensibly, one or more people need to confirm
the correct labeling of the case.

...at least that's the theory ... and of course there's that people part of
the equation again.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 952.241.7369

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Della
Speranza, Vinnie
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:25 AM
To: Morken, Timothy; Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Barcoding specimen tracking, lessons you learned

Hi Tim,

One thing I did not anticipate that was an unfortunate eye opener.

When humans are given a scanner to read barcodes they seem to trust the
technology so much that they stop reading with their eyes.

We had an unfortunate incident where the wrong barcode label was placed onto
a specimen container at accessioning. Keep in mind the label containing the
barcode also contained a patient name and MRN. Had the next individual in
the chain of events, the individual at the grossing table, read the label,
she might have noticed the discrepancy. Instead, the barcode on the
cassettes was for the wrong patient and of course, the slides likewise.

So while I adopted barcodes to reduce the likelihood of error, this event
made me feel a bit more vulnerable because once the scanners are in use, you
may find that staff become so reliant on the technology that they are no
longer vigilant in keeping an eye out for problems. I'm sharing this in the
hope that by alerting your staff to this pitfall you can avoid experiencing
this in your lab.

Vinnie Della Speranza, MS, HTL(ASCP)
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina