[Histonet] Qualifications for grossing

Davide Costanzo pathlocums <@t> gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 18:32:34 CDT 2012


Below are the requirements for high complexity testing, as outline by CLIA.
You can reference the CLIA '88 ruling, specifically look at Subpart M,
Section 493.1489

The requirements are weak, to say the least. I am not alone in the opinion
that just because CLIA allows it, it is not necessarily appropriate for the
minimum qualified person to be grossing certain specimens. Having someone
other than an M.D., or ASCP certified PA do anything larger than a skin
shave is not good medicine. But, in answer to your question - yes, the
government allows inadequately trained personnel to perform high complexity

Sec. 493.1489  Standard; Testing personnel qualifications.

    Each individual performing high complexity testing must--

    (a) Possess a current license issued by the State in which the

      laboratory is located, if such licensing is required; and

    (b) Meet one of the following requirements:

    (1) Be a doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathy, or doctor of

      podiatric medicine licensed to practice medicine, osteopathy, or

      podiatry in the State in which the laboratory is located or have

      a doctoral, master's or bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical,

      biological or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from

      accredited institution;

    (2)(i) Have earned an associate degree in a laboratory science, or

      medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution or--

    (ii) Have education and training equivalent to that specified in

      paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section that includes--

    (A) At least 60 semester hours, or equivalent, from an accredited

      institution that, at a minimum, include either--

    (1) 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses; or

    (2) 24 semester hours of science courses that include--

    (i) Six semester hours of chemistry;

    (ii) Six semester hours of biology; and

    (iii) Twelve semester hours of chemistry, biology, or medical

      laboratory technology in any combination; and

    (B) Have laboratory training that includes either of the following:

    (1) Completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or

      accredited by the ABHES, the CAHEA, or other organization approved by

      HHS. (This training may be included in the 60 semester hours listed in

      paragraph (b)(2)(ii)(A) of this section.)

    (2) At least 3 months documented laboratory training in each

      specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.

    (3) Have previously qualified or could have qualified as a
      technologist under Sec. 493.1491 on or before February 28, 1992

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Glen Dawson <ihcman2010 <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:

> All,
> Can a histotech perform GROSSING if he/she has an associate's degree in
> Histotechnology from an accredited institution (Argosy in MN)?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thank-you,
> Glen Dawson BS, HT(ASCP) & QIHC
> Histology Technical Specialist
> Mercy Health System
> Janesville, WI
>  _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet

*David Costanzo, MHS, PA (ASCP)*
Project Manager
*Blufrog Path Lab Solutions*
9401 Wilshire Blvd. Ste 650
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

More information about the Histonet mailing list