[Histonet] neutral buffered formalin fixed tissue and the Golgi-Cox stain

Tyrone Genade tgenade <@t> gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 10:06:22 CDT 2012

Hello,

I'm working with very small fish brains and would like to perform the
modified Golgi-Cox stain of
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21228908 . As my area of interest
is near the edge of the tissue I need to coat in egg yolk or gelatine
to prevent the dark crust which forms on the tissue (is there another
way?). Manipulating my tiny brains in this way in a raw unfixed state
is likely to cause significant tissue damage. I have found one article
where Golgi-Cox was used on neutral buffered formalin (NBF) fixed
tissue (the entire pig brain,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2459816) but I can't get hold of
the article to actually see how this turned out. Has anyone had any
experience using the Golgi-Cox stain on NBF tissue? Where there any
problems? (I don't want to kill fish for nothing.)

On a related matter, anyone find any faults with the
protocol/solutions at
http://www.funjournal.org/images/stories/downloads/2011_Volume_10_Issue_1/wright_10_1_a85_a87.pdf
?

Thanks