[Histonet] RE: Unregistered HT testing

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Thu Apr 19 11:33:46 CDT 2012

I disagree with your assessment of complex staining.  IHC staining is like "cookie-cutter" staining - one does the same steps every single time with a different (but very similar) set of reagents.  The quality of special stains on the other hand are determined by a unique chemistry - one can get it wrong in so many ways.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Konop, Nicole
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:37 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Unregistered HT testing

Hello everyone!

I'm just curious to know if anyone is allowing unregistered HT's to do special stains in their CAP accredited lab?  I have been involved in discussions regarding high complexity testing.  From the feedback I have received, special stains and IHC stains are considered high complexity testing.  I beg to disagree.  I can understand IHC/ISH as high complexity but I don't think routine special stains fall under that category.  I'd appreciate any feedback or literature you can reference for me to review.  Thank you!

Nicole Anne Konop BS, HTL(ASCP)
Histology Team Lead
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
(414)266-6580 Direct Line