[Histonet] human samples in research lab

Denise G Crowley dencrowl <@t> MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 19 06:45:46 CDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like to get some advice from the experts.  We are a research lab currently working primarily with mouse and zebrafish tissues.  One of our researchers has access to tissues from local hospitals which have been processed and embedded.  Having been in research and away from the clinical field for over 20 years, I am unaware of the PPE and required safety training required for working with primary human tissues.  We currently observe reasonable safety measures such as lab coats and glasses when handling chemicals, and of course no eating, drinking, or open-toed shoes in the lab.  But should we be wearing lab coats, glasses and gloves while sectioning human samples?  And what about the legal aspects such as material transfer agreements and HIPAA rules?

I have been avoiding this issue for years by encouraging researchers to have the slides cut at the hospitals supplying the tissues, but I may not be able to do this much longer.  Any advice?
Thanks,

Denise Crowley
Histology Facility Manager
Koch Center for Integrative Cancer Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
500 Main St. 76-182
Cambridge MA 02139
617-258-8183