[Histonet] Unregistered HT testing

Dessoye, Michael J mjdessoye <@t> commonwealthhealth.net
Wed Apr 18 09:43:22 CDT 2012

Our interpretation of special stains/IHC/ISH is that it is the
'interpretation' of these stains that is 'high complexity'.  I believe
that CLIA is the place where 'high complexity' is defined (although CAP
may expand on this) and CLIA does not recognize ASCP registration.

Michael J. Dessoye, M.S. | Histology Supervisor | Wilkes-Barre General
Hospital | An Affiliate of Commonwealth Health |
mjdessoye <@t> commonwealthhealth.net | 575 N. River Street | Wilkes Barre,
PA 18764 | Tel: 570-552-1432 | Fax: 570-552-1526

-----Original Message-----
From: Konop, Nicole [mailto:NKonop <@t> chw.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:37 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Unregistered HT testing

Hello everyone!

I'm just curious to know if anyone is allowing unregistered HT's to do
special stains in their CAP accredited lab?  I have been involved in
discussions regarding high complexity testing.  From the feedback I have
received, special stains and IHC stains are considered high complexity
testing.  I beg to disagree.  I can understand IHC/ISH as high
complexity but I don't think routine special stains fall under that
category.  I'd appreciate any feedback or literature you can reference
for me to review.  Thank you!

Nicole Anne Konop BS, HTL(ASCP)
Histology Team Lead
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
(414)266-6580 Direct Line
(414)907-0366 Pager
(414)266-2524 Histology Department

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Commonwealth Health.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by Websense Email Security software in conjunction with
virus detection software.