[Histonet] Citrate Buffer pH2.0

Eric Hoy Eric.Hoy <@t> UTSouthwestern.edu
Tue Apr 17 11:48:30 CDT 2012

Why do you want the pH so low?  Citrate buffers are most effective in the
range of pH 3.0-6.0.

I would check with the company and make sure that the pH is supposed to be
2.0, and ask them for a formula to achieve such a solution.  It probably
won't have much buffering capacity at pH 2.0.

There is a Java application that will calculate formulae for citrate
buffers, but it will point out that the buffer should be used close to one
of the three pK's of citric acid:

http://www.egr.msu.edu/scb-group/tools/citric/cit.htm

Good luck!

Eric Hoy

Eric S. Hoy, Ph.D., SI(ASCP)
Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Dallas, Texas
Email: Eric.Hoy <@t> UTSouthwestern.edu